Today was interesting...
Danny woke this morning and drank a small amount of water to take some medicine and just a few minutes later he had another vicious vomiting attack. Afterwards, he was exhausted and slept for about 4 1/2 hours. The low grade fever from yesterday persisted. I noticed a red streak going up his arm from the entry of port a cath towards his shoulder early this morning but Danny just ignored me. He mentioned his shoulder hurt too and he thought maybe he slept on it wrong.
While he was sleeping (with our little dog Coconut who has not left his side) I grew a little concerned because he hadn't eaten anything of much value in a couple of days and what he had eaten he had not been able to keep it down. I feared he was becoming dehydrated again. Also, I thought maybe the pain in his shoulder could be related to the red fevered streak at his port a cath site.
I decided I would call the nurse to see if she felt I had need for concern. Of course, after speaking with the doctor he wanted to see Danny. Dr. Anagnost was so disappointed to hear that Danny was no better. He said "I have been doing this for a long time and you are one a very few that I have seen in this shape". It is mind boggling to him as to why we cant kick this nausea & vomiting.
End result of the doctor visit: Danny was dehydrated, his white blood count was really low, he has an infection, doctor is concerned about lack of nutrition due to the nausea/vomiting, he has lost 23 pounds and there was concern of a blood clot at the port a cath exit.
He did receive fluids in the office, a shot for his blood count (which he will get another tomorrow and Friday), he also received some extra meds for nausea through his IV, he is back on his high dose regimen for the nausea meds. Dr. A rushed us over to Dr. Bebb's office for an ultrasound which did show a blood clot where the port a cath empties in his shoulder/heart area.
We will see Dr. A tomorrow when Danny gets his shot for the blood count issue. I guess at that point they will decide what to do. The good news is "it is not in his deep tissue". Not really sure what that means but I know it is good!
Danny was feeling much better when we left the doctors office today... he actually asked for a Wendy's burger. He ate the whole burger! He wanted some fries but abandoned that idea because the burger tasted so good he didn't want to waste his eating privileges on fries. You know he was starving if a Wendy's burger was delicious! So far he has been able to keep the burger on his stomach... thank God!
Please pray with us the doctor will have the wisdom to make the right decision tomorrow regarding the blood clot. I pray it will be something easy. I hope they do not have to remove the port a cath. It was a little difficult to have put in and I would hate for Danny to have to go through that again but we will see...
I have a great concern for his treatment next week. I am afraid because the first week of his "5 day treatment" he started as a healthy person and still ended up in the hospital for 5 days. At this point he will be starting his treatment way behind the curve. Dr. Anagnost understood my concern and agreed with me - that is why he is trying so hard to improve his overall health in the next 4 days.
I am trusting the Lord will answer our prayers and Danny's health will greatly improve!