Monday, August 3, 2009

First Treatment

Finally, I got started with treatment today. The chemo nurses were really nice. They were Sheila, and Amanda. The nurse that I talked about in the last blog I for some reason wanted to call Jesse is actually Frances. Frances didn’t work on me today but I did see her. I had a past connection with Sheila. She and I used to sing together in the choir at Scotts Hill. I spent about 5 hours there today. I had a doctor’s appointment at 10:00 and had to wait a little while. Then there was trouble with my IV. They like to get a back flow of blood coming from the port o cath but were unable to with me. The theory is that the tube is up against the wall of the vein. It flushes extremely easy which indicates that it is going in the vein and the x-ray done after it was put in looks good so they are not concerned. Anyway late start means late finish. By the time I got out it was a little after 3:00. I then came home and slept for 4 hours.



I woke up not feeling very well. I wouldn’t say I was nauseous just a little queasy. Regina cooked a roast today and for some reason the thought of eating it (nothing to do with her cooking) was not appealing to me. I opted for the old stand-by peanut butter and jelly. I really feel pretty good now.



I did not get the results from all of the tests that I took last week. The PET scan came back with no surprises. It was about what was expected based on the CT scan. Hopefully the others will be back tomorrow. The truth is they expect to find something in the testicles and nothing in the brain……………….hey wait a minute that didn’t come out right now did it? You know what I mean. If what they expect to find is what they actually find then there will be no change in my treatment until after I finish chemo. Then there will be a decision about surgery, radiation or both. The only thing that could possibly change the course of action at the moment would be cancer in the brain. At this point based on everything else they have seen they don’t think this is very likely.



I thank you guys for reading the blog. It does me good to write it and it does me good to know that people are interested enough to read it. The notes I get from you are extremely encouraging. I was never all that popular growing up. I think the fame may be going to my head. LOL



I am thankful for my wife who is amazing and is taking awesome care of me along with my children and my mom.



I hope you do not get tired of me thanking God. I do not know at this moment what He is doing in this and may not know in this life but I cannot help but think that something good will come of it. God is too good for me not to trust Him to do His will!!

13 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAVING TROUBLE POSTING COMMENTS?

    Many of you have told us you have tried to post a comment and have had trouble doing so. You will need to set up a google account. You can use your current email address (even if it is not a google account) and select a password.

    This can be done by writing your comment then select the post comment button and select google account from the pull down menu.

    Then select the "set up google account" button. This will start a short process that will allow you to set up your account. This takes less than a minute. Once set up you can then post as often as you like.

    Thanks everyone for your comments. We appreciate all of your support - It means so much!

    Thanks - Regina

    ReplyDelete
  3. WANT TO BECOME A FOLLOWER?

    You will need to select "Join this site" at the top of the page where the current followers are. Then choose "google account" and enter your password for the account you just set up. Make sure you click "follow this blog".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Glad things got started for you today. Waiting can be torture. I love your sense of humor; that will is and will be a BIG help. Mama is having a nuclear stress test in the morning. They gave her two units of blood today and she looks and feels much better. She has color in her cheeks. Olivia and I are in Leland staying a Bill and Bidgie's. If you or Regina need anything please let us know. I'm good at running errands. Just don't make me think. Hope you have a restful night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep praising the Lord, Danny. He's still sovereign and has a purpose in all of this. We continue to lift you and the family up in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Danny,
    Don't ever stop praising the Lord! You encourage all the rest of us by reading your blog. You make me laugh and praise God all at the same time. We love you all and are praying for you. You know the rule, if you or any of the family needs anything we are a call away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although I had breast cancer, cancer is cancer and I want you to know that Stan and I are lifting all of you up. We've been there, we know. You and I have something in common, we have the same oncologist (Dr. A) and the same Great Physician! He has great plans for you and your family. Psalm 121 brought me great peace during my battle. Rest, and know you will feel better, just don't rush it, and do everything your doc and chemo nurses say! Praying you through, Stan and Rhonda Harvell

    ReplyDelete
  8. If anyone gets tired of hearing someone thank the Lord, then it is time for some rethinking of priorities! Everytime I hear someone thanking God even for a minor thing(which isn't necessarily minor to the thankful person) I think about how blessed I am to be in such a wonderful family, knowing that God cares about each of us individually and deeply.
    I also am glad you have chosen to do this blog. It is not only therapeutic for you, but also for each of us as we see how our prayers for you need to change as you go through this process and as we think about our positions as God's children to uphold each other in difficult times.
    We all also learn to praise Him more when we go through these things together, even when it seems difficult to find a reason for praise other than just because He is Lord of all. But then again, isn't that enough?
    If you have nothing in the brain, you may be in good company(maybe). I believe a number of years ago that James had a brain scan and he told us that there was nothing there. We could have told him that and saved him all the trouble! (Love ya James!)
    Just listen to your body as you go through this, and know that we are all there for you for whatever you need. All of your family is special, especially to me, and I am blessed to be able to call you friends.

    Jackie, Matt and family

    ReplyDelete
  9. Danny, listen to your body...if you need to rest, rest. If you don't feel like eating, don't force it. Chemo is different for all patients but do they ever have some good drugs to lessen the side effects. Don't hesitate to let the chemo nurses know if you're having any problems. They listen and respond. FYI, several of them are sisters in Christ. I know 'cause I was talking about K-LOVE one day when receiving treatment and a couple of them said they also love K-LOVE. Be sure to take your MP3 player filled w/positive, encouraging music to lift you while taking treatment. Thank you for honoring our Lord with your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heard about your story through Christy and wanted you to know you and your family are in my prayers. Just came back from seeing my Grandmother with lung cancer in Arkansas...she has the most amazing attitude and boy what a difference it makes in her treatment! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Danny,
    I am so glad to hear that you actually have a sense of humor! LOL! Work does not always allow for a person's true colors to show through. We are all thinking of and praying for you. Do not hesitate to ask if you or your family needs anything.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jackie, You are right! Danny, You and I have nothing on the brain. lol But we do have picture evidence that we have a brain. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Danny you are in my prayers while on this journey. Remember, everything happens for a reason.. God is using you for his will through all of this.

    ReplyDelete