Tuesday, August 18, 2009

25% Complete!

Good news... we are 25% complete! We only have 75% of his treatment plan left to go!!!

This morning Danny had his only treatment for the week. Last night was a rough one for Danny as he became sick about 2:00 and never really got back to sleep due to the nausea. He is such a good husband... he let me sleep. He said he didn't see any reason to wake me so I could watch him while he was sick. He felt it would be better to let me rest so I could deal with the kids this morning getting them to school, working, and taking care of him. Not many patients are that considerate!

The treatment went very well, it was a shorter one. They did give him extra fluids and meds as part of his pre-treatment. I think this has helped him through the evening. He did eat a few bites for dinner and has been able to keep it down, thank God! He has also been sleeping a lot since treatment, I hope the much needed rest will give him a better day tomorrow.

However, for some reason he has been dealing with a low grade fever the past two days. He is okay until it reaches 100.5, then we have to call the doctor. So far it has only reached about 99.5. For some reason it just keeps teetering back and forth, up and down. I am so thankful it has not reached the magic number. I am not sure what the protocol is at that point but I would love to never find out. ;)

Danny has really enjoyed all the comments about his bald head. We have received some by phone & others on facebook. In fact, when he went in to the treatment room one of his nurses said "ooohhh Danny I love your head, dont you look so cute!" Danny said "Well cute wasnt what I was thinking but I will take it". She then came over and before kissing his head said "ohhhh let me say you look hot!" Of course everyone in the room laughed. Danny said "well hot was not what I was thinking either but I will take it". It was really funny because a friend posted on facebook that the girls in her office thought he looked "HOT". Who would have thought....

He really has has a wonderful attitude about everything especially loosing his hair. I, on the other hand, struggled a little more because for the first time I realized "He is sick". Of course, I have known it, I have seen it, I have felt it but I guess he actually looked sick to me. With the weight loss, him being in a weakened physical state, and the loss of his hair...the reality check was a bit overwhelming at first. The kids really did have a fun time shaving his head. It really made an uneasy time much lighter. I think them playing a part in the process and the fun really helped them adjust. What a Dad! Looking out for the well being of your children in the midst of the toughest time of your life. Through it all the kids have been super too. They are real troopers!

Again, we can not thank everyone enough for the cards, calls, visits, gifts, food, notes, blog posts, love & support and most of all your prayers. We do not deserve the friends & family the Lord has blessed up with but we are sure thankful for each one of you!

I am so very thankful to the Lord for my Mother in law... not only is she a wonderful Mother to her three sons but she is an awesome Mother in law whom I love so very much!!!!

Praise the Lord who's mercy is new everyday!

- Regina

5 comments:

  1. When reality hits you in the face like that it really does throw you for a loop. I have been there in other situations, so I can relate to the general feeling, just not your exact feeling about things. We can never truly say that we know how you feel, because we don't. We only know how we have felt in a given situation, and it is always different for everyone. We can understand generally though, and I think that is what people are trying to say when they make that comment. You say you are blessed to have the family that you have-I believe they are also blessed to have you. Don't forget to take care of yourself too-that will be very important in the long run. Like Paul said, set your eyes on the goal and reach for it-in this case, the healing of Danny and what your family will gain from this experience.
    I am glad Danny's sickness has eased up somewhat. We will pray that it continues to do that so that he can feel more like a human being than an experimental rat. No Danny, I did not call you a rat-if their heads were shaved they would not look nearly as good!
    Take care and keep the faith-we are all hanging in there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great wife you are as well. I can't imagine the fear you must have watching your strong husband showing signs of being sick and am so glad you have faith in the Lord. I am watching a family member struggle through tragedy right now without the same faith and it is so hard to see. I pray everyday that she may come closer to God through this struggle. Thank you for being such a good example and sharing that in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Danny,Regina and kids,First this is for my friend Danny.Hang in there buddy.I don't know how you feel,but I do know that our Heavenly Father has you in His hands.He loves you very much and He has a plan for your life.When you overcome this storm in your life.What a testimony you will be able to share with other people about how great our God is.This is for you Regina,I have never met you,but your wonderful husband has said wonderful things about you.I see from reading these blogs that you are a super wife.I do know how you feel.Seven years ago I heard that word cancer and it devastated me.My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer.Every bad thought that could run through a persons mind ran through mine.All I could think was what am I gonna do.After 3 days of no sleep I gave it to my God and He spoke to my heart and said.My child you finally gave this problem to me.Now I have got it.Everythings going to be okay.Sounds like you have already done this.You now have to let other people help you take care of Danny.You have to take care of yourself and get rest.Kids you keep loving on dad and helping mom take care of him.You done a fine job on his haircut.You all take care and we will keep praying! Love in Christ,Stan and Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome God we serve! Praying that all of your feel nestled under the wings of our Lord- just as a Chicken huddles her little chicks underneath her!
    Love Yall!

    ReplyDelete
  5. REGINA, DANNY AND KIDS!! TROY AND I ARE PRAYING FOR YOU GUYS EVERYDAY AND WE ALSO KNOW THAT GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME!! YOU KNOW FOR THE LAST COUPLE DAYS I HAVE SAT AROUND MY HOUSE AND BEEN SO DEPRESSED BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE A JOB, WELL AFTER READING THIS BLOG, I SAID TO MYSELF HOW CAN I BE DEPRESSED OVER NOT WORKING WHEN AS OF TODAY GOD HAS NOT BLESSED ME WITH THAT WONDERFUL JOB YET BUT HE HAS BLESSED ME WITH A GREAT FAMILY AND GREAT HEALTH. THANK YOU REGINA AND DANNY FOR POSTING THIS BLOG AND HAVING THE COURAGE/STRENGTH TO KEEP IT GOING. IT HAS HELPED ME LOOK AT MY WHOLE PIX AND SAY GET OVER IT, SO WHAT THAT I DON'T HAVE A JOB RIGHT NOW!! WE PRAY THAT REGINA YOU STAY STRONG TO KEEP TAKING CARE OF DANNY AND WE PRAY THAT DANNY WILL CONTINUE TO GET WELL!!! GOD IS GOOD ALLL THE TIME!! THE NIXON FAMILY

    ReplyDelete